Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 09:26:56 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        silver@tomail.com.tw (Silver CHEN)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG)
Subject:   Re: [help] 3.2-STABLE #1 TAGGED QUEUE is still 'disabled' by default on  2940U2W

Silver CHEN wrote...
> Dear Sir:
>
>   I've upgraded my box to 3.2-STABLE #1, now it sets the sync. rate
>   of my LVD box correctly, but the TAGGED QUEUE is still disabled
>   by default. my SCSI controller is 2940U2W.
>
>   I don't konw if this should be enabled by default or not, but in
>   3.1R, it is enabled when boot.
>
>   I can use 'camcontrol' to enable it by hand, this posting here is
>   just some description about my problem.

There are several things that could cause tagged queueing to be disabled.
You'll need to check these things to see what's going on:

1.  If you have disconnection disabled for the device in the Adaptec BIOS,
    it'll cause tagged queueing to get disabled, since you won't be able to
    send more than one transaction at a time.

2.  If the DQue bit in mode page 10 is set for that drive, tagged queueing
    will be disabled.  You can check that bit like this:  (assuming the
    disk is "da5")

	camcontrol modepage da5 -m 8

    You can change it like this:

	camcontrol modepage da5 -m 8 -e -P 3

3.  If there is a quirk entry in the transport layer for your drive that
    disables tagged queueing, obviously your drive won't be doing tagged
    queueing.  To find out if that's the case, look in sys/cam/cam_xpt.c
    and look in the xpt_quirk_entry structure.  If you find your drive in
    there, that'll explain it.

My guess is that your problem is 1 or 2, and not 3.  From your previous
message, I know we don't disable tagged queueing for those disks in the
transport layer.

Anyway, let me (and the list) know what you find.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com