Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 19:21:22 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        Chris Layne <coredump@nervosa.vendetta.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Strange behavior for a Compaq Deskpro with 2.2-960801-SNAP

> > Hi, I installed 2.2-960801-SNAP on a Compaq Deskpro 5100. There are
> > a few strange things happening that I thought I'd ask about:
> >
> > 1. The machine has 24 MBytes of memory, but only 16 are recognized
> > by FreeBSD. (The BIOS finds the full 24 MBytes on powerup.)
>
> Read the damn FAQ! How many times must we answer this same question over
> and over and over. Read the documentation, and if that doesn't solve your
> problem, THAN ask us.

Thank you for such an informative answer. For your information:

1. I *had* read the FreeBSD FAQ (and the Handbook). I had seen the FAQ
section 8.6, which talks about the system only using 64 MBytes of memory
in a 128 MByte system.  If this is the section you're referring to, it's
not at all obvious that it's relevant to my case - it talks specifically
about FreeBSD only being able to detect a maximum of 16 bits worth of 1
kByte memory blocks.

If this is *not* the section you're referring to, I'm afraid I'm totally
without a clue. I have reread the FAQ, but haven't found anything else
that could be relevant.

2. I asked the questions I did on the freebsd-current list for several
reasons:

- I had a problem with the PCI version of lnc driver, and I know that
this had recently been integrated into FreeBSD.

- I had a minor problem with the de driver (a nil pointer). I could see
that there were some noticeable changes in the de driver from version
1.47 (in the 960612 SNAP) to version 1.48 (in the 960801 SNAP).

- I am running a "current" system - the 960801 SNAP. The description of
the charter for the freebsd-current list in the handbook says,

"This is the mailing list for users of freebsd-current. It includes
warnings about new features coming out in -current that will affect the
users, and instructions on steps that must be taken to remain -current.
Anyone running "current" must subscribe to this list."

and in the FAQ it says:

"This is the mailing list for communications between the developers and
users of freebsd-current. It also carries announcements and discussions
on current. Required reading for anyone using freebsd-current!"

For all of these reasons I had no hesitation about sending my questions
to freebsd-current.

If my questions were indeed inappropriate for freebsd-current, I would
suggest that the list charter needs to be clarified and/or expanded.