Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2019 15:10:26 +0000
From:      Mark Blackman <mark@exonetric.com>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any suggestions for a layer 3 load ablancer for 12, as relayd doesnt work anymore

alancer, Apache Traffic Manager, https://trafficserver.apache.org
>=20
> Thanks for the suggestions - unfortunately both of those (unless I
> misread them) terminate the TCP connection and make a new one to
> the backends. I was after something where I can see the original IP
> address on the socket. Though I could put a procy in front and add
> the headers I suppse, but thats a biut more work as it involves changing
> the code.
>=20
> Interested in the apache traffic manager - I hadnt come across that
> one before, tahnks,

These days, most =E2=80=9Cproper=E2=80=9D application designs have a layer i=
n front of the application that handles all of the traffic management consid=
erations and deliberately takes away direct connectivity from the client to t=
he application, inserting the original client IP address into the request he=
aders as just more metadata associated with the request.  Things like Zuul, H=
AProxy, Apache, Nginx, Traffic Manager, Traefik and all the others are meant=
 to handle the nitty gritty of the connection between the client and your ap=
plication, passing on only trusted,normalised requests to the underlying app=
lication.=20=