Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 14:37:33 -0600
From:      George Wenzel <gee2@realtime.net>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        richard <richard@sneaker.net.au>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Usenet performance issues (was Re: RAID solutions?)

spork wrote:

> We're currently using Dnews, and we're happy with it for the most part,
> our news machine was up and running for 344 days before I had to put more
> memory in...  We are also considering moving to Typhoon, as it has support
> for external anti-spam progs, and it lets us specify which hierarchies go
> where, which would be a great help to us.
>
> The only problem is, it only runs on 3.0...  Anyone have any experience
> with this product under FreeBSD?  Dnews has been very stable, but I really
> like some of the additional features Typhoon has.

Did you ask the Dnews guys to add a feature or two?  Last time I
told them I needed a feature, they added it before I was ready to
use it.  It might be easier than switching.  The transaction went
something like this...  I sent a mail request asking for what I
needed, then went on to explain why everyone really needed the
feature.  Two days later I got a mail message saying they would
think about it and get back to me, then about 8 hours after that
I got a mail message saying "download a beta with your new feature
at http://..."

Current word is new features are on delay untill January, due to
the holiday.  But it is clear that their policy is to try to do
anything that is asked of them.  If you are already using their
product, and are moving to another just because of a feature or
two, you should ask them.

On the other hand, Typhoon does sound like a good product...

George