Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 12:56:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS server problems on 3.4-S, any interest?

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Don Lewis wrote:

> On May 22,  1:32pm, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> } Subject: Re: NFS server problems on 3.4-S, any interest?
> } :>From the workstation:
> } :Name  Mtu   Network   Ipkts      Ierrs    Opkts    Oerrs Coll  Drop
> } :fxp0  1500  <Link#1>  32102492     0      31653667   0   30900   0
>
> 30900 collisions is a pretty good clue that fxp0 is not in full-duplex
> mode.  In full-duplex mode both NICs are allowed to transmit at the
> same time and the collision sensing circuitry is supposed to be turned
> off.

	I've already indicated that the fxp card was not in full duplex,
and I've since corrected that. Now I don't see any errors, drops or
collisions on the workstation, but on the server I see:

Name  Mtu   Network  Ipkts    Ierrs Opkts       Oerrs Coll Drop
xl0   1500  <Link>   72374833 29770 73159292     0    171   0

I'm perfectly willing to chalk this up to the 3com card being a piece of
crap, but isn't it a little odd?

> }     Crossover cables work fine, usually, but I personally *never* use them.
> }     I always throw a switch in between the machines and let it negotiate
> }     the duplex mode with each machine independantly,
>
> twice as many chances to get things wrong, too.

	Another reason why I decided to stick with the x-over cable. Now
that I'm looking at adding another machine to my network though, I'm
thinking of getting a switch. I found a pretty good deal on one from
Allied Telesyn, is that a reputable company? The link is:

http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/resellers/1,10231,0-11726-311-780298-0,00.html?tag=st.sh.11726-301-0.lst.ml_780298

8 ports is probably  more than I need, although this particular item isn't
significantly more expensive than the 4 port models with similar features,
and I'd rather not go through this all again N time periods from now.

	Another alternative I'm considering is just getting more
ethernet cards and making the server/firewall machine more of a
"router," since I have a lot of free slots on that motherboard. That may
be a little grandiose though... A co-worker got an "ETHERFAST CABLE/DSL
ROUTER WITH 4 10/100 SWITCHED PORTS" from linksys,
http://www.us.buy.com/comp/product.asp?Sku=10235958 which looks like a
lot of fun, but it only has 4 ports, and I'm afraid that if I ever get a
laptop I'm going to be out of luck, since I don't think that one is
stackable.

	Also, does anyone have a good reference to what features to look
for in a switch? I try to learn a little networking on the side when time
allows, so I'm familiar with basic concepts, but as you may have noticed I
am a little over my head here. :) I do appreciate the help though, and I
feel like I'm definitely learning something.

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire