Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2024 13:23:29 +0100
From:      void <void@f-m.fm>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new error messages after upgrade 14.0-p5 to 14.1-p1 amd64

Hi Rick,

On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 09:29:51AM -0700, Rick Macklem wrote:

>rpcbind_enable="YES"
>nfs_client_enable="YES"
>
>If you have at least one of these in your /etc/rc.conf, then all I can think
>of is some sort of network/routing issue that interferes with rpcbind working.

I have nfs_client_enable=YES only. Should I have both?

>You can also look at the output of:
># rpcinfo
>once it is booted, to see that rpcbind seems correctly configured.
>It should be attached to tcp, tcp6, udp, udp6 and /var/run/rpcbind.sock.

% doas rpcinfo
rpcinfo: can't contact rpcbind: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Success

It's odd that beforehand, there was no error notification.

The bootup of the client will stall with the aforementioned error,
i presume it's carrying on once the nfs server is contacted. So far, I've not
had to ctl-C or ctl-D to get past it. Once booted up, the nfs shares are
available and writable.

The nfs server is 14-stable and the exported dir is zfs with the sharenfs property set.
The client (14.1-p1) is a VM on a different machine but the same network.

I'll try putting rpcbind_enable=YES in /etc/rc.conf