Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 22:21:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com>
Cc:        Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Attempted Buffer Overrun in via httpd?

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Jon Loeliger wrote:

> So, like Fernando Gleiser was saying to me just the other day:
> >
> > It smells like code red. It is a worm which tries to exploit a vulnerability
> > in M$ IIS.
>
> Ah!  Duh.  Wait, I'm catching up here...  What's the current virus
> knocking on everyone's door?  Oh yeah, _I_ remember now!  Code Red.
>
> > Apache (AFAIK) is not vulnerable.
>
> Excellent.
>
> > The request comes from an infected machine, maybe you want to inform the
> > webmaster about this.
>
> Heh.  If I were to do that, I'd do _nothing_ else!  I have hundreds
> of them, and they are mostly from various dial-up looking DNS names.

I actually attempted some connections to these ips using
"http:// and the IP number and, without fail, they were all
"Under Construction".

I think the great majority of these infected servers are on NT
boxes where the owner checked the little box that said "Install
the Web Server" and then forgot about it. I was wondering how,
after months of warnings and media exposure that *anyone* could
have an unpatched web server, but I think this is the reason.

Good Grief...

-Jim Durham