Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 18:32:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Jeffrey Sewell <jefffbsd@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Collisions each day

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Jeffrey Sewell wrote:

> Network interface status:
> Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs
> Coll
> fxp0  1500  161.71.25.12/ raven              50174     0    23006     0
> 14688
>
> Should I be alarmed because of : 50174/23006 sent and received and having
> 14688 collisions.

  It does seem to be rather high.

> What would cause this?  Bad cable from my box to the hub?

  Possibly.  Most likely a bad hub, or too many hubs in the collision
domain.  I have a nice hub here that causes 100% collisions if I hook it
anywhere in the LAN.

> I have another box that has no collisions with like 123,000,000 packets
> sent...

  The only way that is possible is if you are using a switch, not a hub.

  Or, as I recall some ethernet drivers failed to count collisions
properly.