Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 19:15:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <jacks@sage-american.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Printcap & Magicfilter

Here is an alternative to typing all these configs manually:
/usr/ports/print/apsfilter
which is a printer configuration tool.
It worked with all (o.k.: three, now a Deskjet
990Cxi) HP-Deskjets I have ever used. It was
genuinely written for use with FreeBSD and they have
online-manuals and mailing-lists (www.apsfilter.org).
They even invented a work-around for duplex-printing (you
get a mail when it is time to take the paper out and turn it
around).
But be warned: if you say yes to all options it will compile
about two dozens of print-filters for all purposes -
including a complete tex/latex-package (which I started
loving since). And: Andreas Klemm (the maintainer) wants you
to send him a postcard to Germany.

Uli.