Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:08:22 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
To:        "'Jordan K. Hubbard'" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Peter Philipp <philipp@globalserve.net>
Cc:        Jeremy Domingue <jer@hughes.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Disgruntled Linux User... questions about FreeBSD

To back this point up, it's often cheaper to replace a motherboard than
it is to replace the SCSI controller (based on the fact that the onboard
SCSI is usually adaptec and their kits ain't cheap).

If downtime is not your main concern (since replacing a motherboard is
going to take longer) then they are a very economical buy. If downtime
is your concern then there are more appropriate ways of ensuring your
service stays up than going for a motherboard without an onboard
controller. Even in this case, a redundant SCSI card only uses up one
slot, whereas a redundant card would otherwise use up a second slot.