Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2000 14:05:39 -0400
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com>
To:        "Josef Karthauser" <joe@pavilion.net>, <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <cvs-all@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/sys sockio.h src/sys/net if.c src/sbin/ifconfig ifconfig.8 ifconfig.c

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Josef Karthauser" <joe@pavilion.net>

> Horray!  At last there's some hope of getting dhcp to give me the same
> lease irrespective of which pccard ethernet card I plug in :).

You can already to this by specifying the DHCP client-id for your machine.
Most DHCP servers will honor that and since it is under your control, you
don't need to hack the MAC address to obtain the same lease even when you
change you ethernet card.

I also implemented a patch for ISC-DHCP v2 to use the value passed in the
client-id field or the hostname field of0 the DHCP request/discover to fetch
the appropriate IP address from a DNS server. This reduces the number of
things to configure for a LAN.

Changing the MAC address for just doing that sounds dangerous as duplicate
MAC addresses on a network can really create hell in no time.

Cheers,

Patrick.