Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 1995 00:16:58 +1100 (DST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
To:        "Hugh S. Ellis" <hellis@domus.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP stack for PCs

On Tue, 3 Jan 1995, Hugh S. Ellis wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I will be using my FreeBSD system as a firewall through which my users
> will connect to the Internet.  (Network's not connected yet since my firewall
> isn't quite ready :(
>
> While FreeBSD is really cool, I think I may get some resistance to converting
> all my users from DOS to FreeBSD.  Given that they may be running DOS, or
> worse, DOS + Novell, what is the best way to allow them to access my FreeBSD
> server?

Trumpet Winsock is quite good and supports SLIP and PPP as well as direct
network connections.  Winsock will also allow machines with direct
connections to get all their info from a bootp server if you ahev one
running.It is used here quite a lot, as well as Microsoft's TCP/IP stack
for Windows for Workgroups.

> I have been told that there are some reasonable public domain TCP stacks for
> PCs running Windows.  Any recommendations as to what I should be looking for?
> Also, if I can tune up my firewall, I would like to get them running X.  Are
> there versions of X for MS-Windows  out there?  What is likely to be most
> compatible with my FreeBSD system?

There is a program called X-Win which will run X under windows but I'm not
sure if it is shareware or public domain software...

Carey Nairn                     ! email : Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au
Networks and Communications     ! phone : (002) 20 7419
Information Technology Services ! fax   : (002) 20 7898
University of Tasmania.         !