Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 15:50:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: conf/1076: 'make install' fails for /usr/src/share/examples in -stable

The following reply was made to PR conf/1076; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To: nik@blueberry.co.uk
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 00:09:37 +0100 (MET)

 As Nik Clayton wrote:

 > >Number:         1076
 > >Category:       conf
 > >Synopsis:       'make install' fails for /usr/src/share/examples in -stable
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       serious

 Huh?  Are you serious about this? :)

 >         When 'make install'ing in /usr/src/share/examples, multiple errors
 >         of the type

 Hmm.  I'm not sure about your fix.  My suggested fix would be:

 install:
 	@echo "You cannot install these examples directly."

 I think they haven't ever been intended to be auto-installable, they
 are rather there as a reference for curious people.  The fact that the
 `install' targets were still around at all is simply that nobody
 bothered to disable the default install targets from the included .mk
 files.

 What do other people think about this?

 --
 cheers, J"org