Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 1998 14:02:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Professional asssociations that may be of interest

I've gathered the sense that many of the folks on the -newbies list
would be interested in learning more -- both about FreeBSD (in
particular, and possibly other systems as well), and about (some of) the
history behind all this.

A resource that I find useful is the USENIX association
(http://www.usenix.org/).  The bimonthly publication of the Association
is called ";login:", and this month's issue inaugurates a regular
feature, "Source Code UNIX for PCs."  The author, Robert Gray, has a
FreeBSD background; this promises to be of (significant) interest to
many in the community.

In addition to ";login:", the Association sponsors various conferences.
(I note that I have seen such folks as Dennis Ritchie, Ken thompson, and
Rob Pike -- as well as many of the BSD folks at USENIX conferences....)

Perhaps even more interesting (from a practical standpoint) is a group
within USENIX called "SAGE" -- the System Administrators Guild
(http://www.usenix.org/sage).  As its name indicates, it is oriented
toward the more practical aspects of persuading (networks of)
computers to do what is desired, and as a support group for those
of us who do this (in some cases, for a living).

SAGE also sponsors conferences:  the LISA (Large Installation System
Administration) conferences.

Also, some parts of the world have local UNIX-oriented groups.  I happen
to be in the San Francisco Bay area (Berkeley is just across the Bay),
and in this area we have a group called BayLISA (San Francisco Bay Area
Large Installation System Administrators:  http://www.baylisa.org/).
And just like ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) meetings,
BayLISA meetings are open to the public (and, in the BayLISA case,
generally transmitted over the Mbone).

(There's also a Silicon Valley Linux Users Group, which draws a
significant crowd.)

And of course, if there isn't a group where you are, you might be able
to help start one....

I hope the above proves useful for some of you....

david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com	(650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 401-0168