Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:44:45 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New European Warranty

Nils Holland wrote:
> There are some devices that fail more often than a CPU, for example hard
> disk drives. However, I know that manufaturers have generally given a
> somewhat extended warranty on these - 3 years is common for Western Digital
> drives, for example.

Fans.  Unfiltered power supply fans, particulary, but CPU fans
with low clearance, as well.  If the only thing that comes out
of this is that the fans don't start making inordinate amounts
of noice, it's cool.

Personally, every new machine I get with a power supply fan
(all desktop and desk-side machines, basically), I immediately
take apart, open the power supply (voiding the warranty, in the
process), and reverse the direction of the fan (making it pull
air in instead of pushing air out), adding an external dust
filter on the outside that it has to suck air through.  After
this modification, I now have power supplies that have lasted
many years in "dusty" environments, when before the fan would
sieze up in 9 months to a year, cook the supply, and then
(occasionally) cook the computer as well.

Not surprisingly, my CDROM and floppy and tape drives, with
filtered air being escaping through them, rather than the
unfiltered air being sucked into them, depositing dust over
the optics and heads, also have had significantly fewer
problems since I began this practice, 8 years ago.

So if it also prevents idiots from keeping their jobs doing
system design and building machines that fail around the time
of their planned obsolescence, I'm all for that, too.

And guess what?  If you aren't buying replacement hardware
every year or so, then they don't have a continuing revenue
stream, and the money will have to come from somewhere, and
you really can't expect it to come from them innovating new
and desirable products, and selling those, instead.

-- Terry