Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2015 14:46:09 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        jail@freebsd.org, "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com>, Sean Chittenden <seanc@groupon.com>
Subject:   Re: preferred jail management tool

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 19:23:48 -0600, Mark Linimon wrote:
[Sean Chittenden wrote:]
 > > > For years I've used and endorsed ezjail, but as stated, it is depreciated.
 >
 > Hmm, there's no notation at
 > http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portoverview.py?category=sysutils&portname=ezjail ,
 > nor in the Makefile AFAICT.
 >
 > > > For a book, excluding ezjail would exclude a huge portion of the user base
 > > > and seems like it would hurt credibility given its dominance as the
 > > > preferred tool for jail administration.

I agree with this; given its history and installed base it certainly
deserves some coverage with at least references to its documentation, as
a precursor to more recently emerging, likely more comprehensive tools.

 > On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:54:50PM -0500, Alejandro Imass wrote:
 > > Maybe is something obvious to the more technical crowd but as a user what
 > > does "depreciated" mean in this context?
 >
 > Really the word most people use is "deprecated" rather than "depreciated".
 >
 > It can mean any number of things:
 >
 >  - it no longer works due to changes in other software
 >  - it has been replaced by something else
 >  - the author is no longer interested in maintaining it
 >
 > and so forth.
 >
 > I don't know the answer in this case.

As Alejandro went on to point out, depreciate means (ref Concise Oxford)
'Diminish in value' or 'Lower market price of; reduce purchasing power
of (money); disparage, belittle' (L. pretiare f. pretium price), while
deprecate means 'Plead against; express wish against or disapproval of
(L. precari pray).  Different, with some overlap regarding belittlement.

The former term is prominent in Joe's http://jail-primer.sourceforge.net/

cheers, Ian