Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 13:38:07 +0900
From:      Kazuo HORIKAWA <horikawa@isrd.hitachi.co.jp>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, man-jp-core@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal to put Japanese online manuals into freefall CVS repository

> On Tue, 17 Feb 1998 k-horik@yk.rim.or.jp wrote:

>  Now doc/ja_JP.EUC have been moved to doc/ja (thanks Peter Wemm!) and
> I heard www/data/ja_JP.EUC will be moved to www/data/ja, so I think
> there is no barrier to import Japanese online manuals into doc/ja/man.
>  If there is no problem, I would like to ask Satoshi Asami and
> Hiroyuki Hanai to do so.  Is it OK?

> If I may raise one small point that I just thought of...the
> primary reason for moving things into a doc tree separate from
> the main src tree was that the handbook and FAQ cover multiple
> FreeBSD releases.  Tracking changes on three separate CVS
> branches was just all hassle with no benefit.  The related issue
> was maintaining the doc tools in all three branches.

> So, to what degree do these Japanese docs cover all FreeBSD
> versions?  If they document details of specific tools, then it
> might actually be a good thing for them to follow branches of the
> main src tree.  As it stands, the doc tree doesn't take branches.

 Japanese online manuals follow only FreeBSD RELEASE version.  This is
because we do not have enough human resource, and we believe Japanese
online manuals' users are mainly RELEASE users.  Because we follow
only RELEASE version, importing Japanese online manuals into doc does
not make branches.

 Because we do not follow -current (HEAD), for Japanese online
manuals, appropriate tree is not src tree but doc tree, we think.

> Would it work to put them right in src/share/man?  How disruptive
> would it be to add Japanese capabilities to the groff and man in
> the main source tree?

 For Japanese manual formatting, `man', `groff', `col', and `more'
should have Japanese capabilities.  Ports ja-man-1.1, ja-groff-0.99
and ja-less-332 have Japanese capabilities.  But these tools (at least
ja-man-1.1 and ja-groff-0.99) do not have koi-8 capabilities.  We
think that adding koi-8 capabilities to the ja-* tools or adding
Japanese capabilities to the tools in the src tree requires long time.

 And if we think about adding Japanese capabilities to `col', we
should think about other text formatting related commands (fmt,
expand, fold, etc.).  This is big impact on the src tree.

 So we think that adding Japanese capabilities to tools in the src
tree is not good idea.  This is the second reason why we think that
doc tree is appropriate for Japanese online manuals.

--
Kazuo Horikawa <horikawa@jp.freebsd.org>