Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 1996 15:22:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        freebsd@shadows.aeon.net (Mr Operating System)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on dual pentium?

> > I was just wondering if anyone has tried to run FreeBSD current on any
> > dual pentium machines? We were wondering about ordering one to use as a
> > BSD server.
>
> i ran it today on dual p166, didnt have src's around to compile...

FreeBSD-current does _not_ take any advantage of the second CPU on a
dual CPU board.  You where in effect running on a single P166.

There is ongoing developement for SMP, subscribe to the freebsd-smp
mailling list for more information.

> and i used GigaByte Dual Pentium board, it has also AHA7880 onboard, i
> just loved it since having the UW on dual pentium board is more than anyone
> can ask... almost...
>
> only bad things were the ATX layout... since the board DOES eat power from
> same kind of connection than any general AT board...
>
> oh, and the board has also 512k cache, i had 128 megs ram on it...
>
> *smile*
>
> the machine felt extremely fast...

Just as fast as any other Triton-II based P166 512K cache machine :-)