Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 20:37:33 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Adept <adept@cep.yale.edu>, Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, William Bulley <web@merit.edu>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3C589 performance (was Re: obtaining 3COM 3C589C PC-CARDs )

> > > I'll gladly swap a 3c589c for any of the PAO supported PCCARD
> > > network cards (see http://www.jp.FreeBSD.org/PAO).  My impression
> > > of their performance is somewhat lacking (~200k/sec on average).
> >
> > Woah!?
> >
> > I 've done some benchmarking and I'm getting on my Thinkpad 701C something
> > like 700K/sec with my 3C589B.
>
> On a silent network, their throughput is fine.  Unfortunately, it
> appears that the '589 suffers from similar problems to other 3Com cards
> on networks with other traffic; I see transfers out of this system as
> slow as 50K/sec on a lightly to moderately loaded network.  Others have
> reported similar experiences with other cards (3C509, 3C59x, 3C90x).
>
> mike

My latest experiences were with the 2.2.2 PAO install floppy from
www.jp.freebsd.org/PAO and a silent network w/ a SMC DEC21040 on the
other end of an ftp install :-(

I've never had much luck w/ 3com :-(

Of course my mileage may vary on my 2.2-STABLE laptop.  I haven't
measured throughput in a while (the 200k/s install was on a friends
machine last weekend).

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;