Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:52:41 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3C589E or Xircom Realport 10BT?

In message <3879B470.2B32C619@we.lc.ehu.es> "Jose M. Alcaide" writes:
: I am looking for an Ethernet (10Mbps) PCMCIA card for my new laptop,
: a Dell Inspiron 3700. The models easier to find at local stores are the
: 3COMs and the Xircoms, and I am not sure of which of them works better
: with FreeBSD (3.4-RELEASE, no PAO).

Both of these work equally well with 3.4, as far as I know.

: I like the Xircom RE-10BT because it has a true RJ45 connector
: integrated (it is a type-III card), but I don't know anything about the
: quality of the "xe" driver (and I know that it is broken under -CURRENT).

Yes.  Although it is much closer to working now than it was a little
while ago.

: OTOH, I am very confused about the many variants of the 3c589. The local
: stores only offer the 3COM Megahertz 3CXE589ET, and I don't know whether
: this specific model works fine with the "ep" driver.

I've had reports that it does, but have none in my hot little hands to
verify it for sure.

Warner