Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 22:38:18 +0100 (CET)
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   kern/9178: -current ipfw.ko with ELF kernel doesn't get inited

>Number:         9178
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       -current ipfw.ko with ELF kernel doesn't get inited
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT i386
>Environment:

	A fresh -current world from last weekend.

	Upon rebooting I noticed that setting the firewall rules does
not work on my machine anymore with the IPFW kernel module loaded via
the boot loader's load command.  Kernel and module are both ELF, the
kernels sees the preloaded ELF module ipfw.ko but neither do I get the
usual IPFW startup message nor does /sbin/ipfw work.

	With IPFW built into the kernel everything seems to be OK.
IPFW starts up (it prints its startup message) and the firewall rules
get set as expected.

>How-To-Repeat:

	Build an ELF kernel w/o IPFW.  Create a /boot/boot.conf which
loads the kernel and the IPFW kernel module.  Reboot and try setting
firewall rules.

>Fix:

	Only a workaround for now.  Just put IPFW into the kernel.  :(