Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 08:23:02 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Ada T Lim <ada@not-enough.bandwidth.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to select media for PCMIA combo network card? (fwd)

> > I am thinking that the easiest solution might be to buy a hub that has
> > a BNC connector on it to tie into my existing network, and then just
> > use the 10baseT interface on the card.  There's no way I'm going to
> > put up with booting W95 just to set the media every time.  The LinkSys
> > card plus a cheap hub is still probably less expensive than a 3c589.
>
> Yes, but I'd buy the 3c589 simply because it's a better card.   The cost
> of a hub which handles 10B2 + a 10BT 3c589 (which I've seen for $110 in
> the US) is probably not much more than a cheap card, anyhow.

I'd dispute that the '589 is a "better card".  I have one, and I'm less
than overfond of it.

> Mike, is there a place in australia to get the accton cards cheap?

Gawd, Accton stuff is like dirt around here.  We buy from Datacord, who
are national and will sell retail.  (This is just because they sell the
Sharp notebooks we've been using.)

If you have good relations with the wholesaler market, try your local
"big" wholesaler(s), depending on where you are (eg. Merisel, Express
Data, etc.)

mike