Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 1997 09:41:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com>
To:        et@space.net (Thomas Eisenbock)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Micro$oft FrontPage extensions?

Thomas Eisenbock wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Steve Hovey wrote:
>
> > Ill get flamed for this but - I wont touch that with a 10 foot pole - you
> > open security holes.
>
> Of course you'll get flamed, 'cause you are wrong :)
>
> The only danger is, that you have to execute binaries from a third party
> vendor that may be able to execute other programs without your knowledge,
> but that's why we use Unix ;)

For some, the use of binaries without source is enough of a risk to
avoid it though. Consider this, you're running FreeBSD and you have
FULL access to the source if you want it, same with Apache. Yet to
use FrontPage you have to plop a binary that you cannot check or
modify on your server... For some, that may not be acceptable. Nothing
wrong about that at all, just a matter of differing opinions.