Date:      25 Apr 2002 17:52:36 -0000
From:      atk2@arctic.org
To:        atk2@arctic.org, nickw@uidaho.edu, UNEXPECTED_DATA_AFTER_ADDRESS@.SYNTAX-ERROR
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: checking hard disk -- hdparm like tool?

But will it also display/set what mode the drive is using (ultra dma
1,2,3,4,5,6,...)

(aka I tried iostat last night - and it seemed that a maxtor 7200 rpm drive
was giving me 6MB -- it seems that other folks get 20MB to 30MB with this
drive...

(I did cat /dev/ataxxx > /dev/null)

Alan

  ||From nickw@gizmo.platy3.org  Thu Apr 25 10:33:55 2002

  ||How about bonnie, /usr/ports/benchmarks/bonnie

  ||Be aware, though, it won't give you as optimistic results as hdparm,
  ||bonnie is more realistic.

  ||_Nick

  ||On 25 Apr, atk2@arctic.org wrote:
  ||-|
  ||-|  Is there a tool similar to linux hdparm which will report the dma mode and
  ||-|  read/write performance of an ide hard disk. Trying to ensure that my disk
  ||-|  is installed correctly...
  ||-|
  ||-|  Alan
  ||-|