Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 21:41:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, Jukka Simila <juksi@iname.com>
Subject:   What "bad magic" really means (Re: RealPlayer 7)

On 26-Apr-00 Heiko Recktenwald wrote:
> Can anybody tell me what the "bad magic number" message means ? Does it
> means, it is a linux binary and wants linux netscape ? Or is it just not
> properly installed ? Hmm...
>
> Voila:
>
> ERROR: bad magic number in "/usr/local/lib/netscape/plugins/rpnp.so"
> Cant load plugin /usr/local/lib/netscape/plugins/rpnp.so. Ignored.

The "bad magic number" error, in this case, simply means that FreeBSD
tried to run a Linux file as if it were a FreeBSD file.  This will, of
course, fail spectacularly.  :-)

RealPlayer, being as it is a Linux app, needs a little tweaking after
installing to get it to work under FreeBSD's Linux emulation.

In the directory where you installed RealPlayer, look for any files that
have executable permissions set, and do the following on each of them:

brandelf -t Linux filename

That should cure the problem (assuming that you have Linux emulation
enabled, and the linux-base package installed).

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://members.home.net/conrads/