Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 15:44:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   crypt(3) problems

There are many cases (e.g. apache with external sources doing crypt)
where it is necessary to have libscrypt the default crypt for logins,
etc, and libdescrypt available for linking (e.g. apache).  Since the
realignment of crypt sources to the internat versions (which I generally
like), this is not possible without a change to the makefile in
/usr/src/secure/lib/libcrypt so that LCRYPTBASE is libdescrypt and NOT
libcrypt.  The corresponding change may be needed in libscrypt sources too?

There are also cases (generating passwords for cisco) where the opposite
is needed.

The bottom line is that if one asks explicitly for either -ldescrypt
or -lscrypt it should get ONLY that library and not the other, independent
of the symlinks.

This was working fine till the merge of usa and internat versions.

There was other related heartburn but I finally discovered the change to
make.conf that fixed it :-)

-- Pete