Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:54:37 -0500
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        ryanm <ryanm@accn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Class C

ryanm wrote:

> Could someone tell me how I can get as much information pertaining
> to a specific class C as possible?? I have an unresolveable IP address
> and want to find out who owns it or administers it. A user has attempted
> to hack into one of my machines and I would like to contact the place
> were he gets I'net service through. If anyone has any info they can
> feed back to me I would appreciate it.

whois -h whois.arin.net ip#  (if from the American registry)

and go from there.

In general:

   American Registry for Internet Numbers - whois.arin.net
   European IP Address Allocations        - whois.ripe.net
   Asia Pacific IP Address Allocations    - whois.apnic.net

Also, dig -x can give quick answers, even when there is no PTR record for
the full IP.

--
Graeme Tait - Echidna