Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 14:04:33 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, FreeBSD Chat List <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What is happening at core?

On Wednesday,  8 May 2002 at 20:57:36 -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Wed, 8 May 2002, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 02:14:34PM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
>>> Just read about Mike Smith's resignation from Core.
>>> He mentions some feelings simmilar to what Jordan mentioned recently.
>>>
>>> Anyone care to give their opinion of what is happening?
>>> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=260229+0+current/freebsd-hackers
>>
>> Some people who have been devoting huge amounts of their life over
>> several years to an annoying volunteer job have grown tired with it
>> and decided to spend their time doing other things.
>

> That is not exactly how I read it. :-(
> I read it more like, both Jordan and Mike thought core was doing more
> arguing than work.

I suspect a big part of the issue is expectations.  When we formed the
new core, we weren't really certain which way we wanted to go, and we
spent a lot of time discussing what we should be.  We made mistakes,
of course: we were exploring uncharted territory.  It certainly wasn't
as much fun as some of us had hoped it to be.  That doesn't mean that
there's anything basically wrong in the concept, however.  Those of us
who remain are in general agreement that we're more or less on the
right track.

> One thing I found interesting.. I did not find at the FreeBSD site
> an explanation of what exactly core is/does.

That's one of the things we discussed.  We're still not 100% sure.

Greg