Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 12:09:45 -0500
From:      "Doug Poland" <dpoland@execpc.com>
To:        <vns@maxa01.tm.odessa.ua>
Cc:        <freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Sybase

Vladimir wrote...

> Add the next line in the your kernel configuration file:
> --------
> options         "SHMMAX=(SHMMAXPGS*PAGE_SIZE+1)"
> options         SHMMAXPGS=4097
> -------
> After that you are must recompile and install the kernel.

I've done the SHMMAXPGS=4097, but not the SHMMAX line.  Is the
SHMMAX line to be entered exactly as you have it (quotes and all)?
Is PAGE_SIZE an option defined somewhere else in the kernel?

> P.S. Linux kernel and Sybase SQL have some bug in handling/use
> fcntl/F_SETOWN  and ioctl/FIOSETOWN syscalls. And for install
> stage you must poll the database engine with SIGIO signals, and
> after install execute database engine from shells, whose create
> new process group for launching program, for example the tcsh do it.

You lost me here.  Perhaps this is why the sybinit program returned
an internal error message when trying to boot the server.  Interestingly,
the dataserver daemon is running and consuming 4069KB of memory.
Unfortunately, I can't seem to get at the database with isql.

If you don't mind, I have copies of install/errorlog and
init/logs/logxxxx.001.
Would those be of assistance?

--
Doug Poland