Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:18:38 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcm driver

Quoting Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>:

> According to Daniel O'Connor:
>

> > On 25-Sep-00 Gary Kline wrote:
> > >  ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
> > >  sbc0: <Soundblaster 16> at port 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
> on isa0
> > >  sbc0: alloc_resource
> > >  device_probe_and_attach: sbc0 attach returned 6
> > >

> > >       I don't  know what the last line means.  I just remade snd0...
> >
> > The last line means its busted :)
> >
> > Are you sure you have 'device pcm' in your kernel config _as well_ as
> sbc0?
> >

> device pcm
> device          sbc0    at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
>

> 	Should this be pcm0, perhaps?
I've exactly the same hardware and had this problem because of irq conflict.
The sb is ISA and BIOS assigned IRQ to USB for some unclear reason.
I then set IRQ5 to be assigned to Legacy ISA in BIOS and it worked again.
The BIOS behavior was quite weird since it worked before.
Check if any other devices use irq5.
Hope that it helps.

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]