Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:47:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Dale E. Chulhan" <dchulhan@uwi.tt>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best NIC / Best CDR-CDRW

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 05:39 PM 4/18/2000 , Chris Dillon wrote:
>
> >Plextor is _cheaper_?  Where in the world are you buying your drives?
>
> I get them a few pennies above wholesale from a distributor. Yes, the
> high-end Yamahas are more expensive but produce significantly fewer
> rejects.

I'd love to know who your distributor is. :-)

According to pricewatch as of a few seconds ago:

Plextor 12x4x32 $299
Plextor  8x2x20 $316 (interesting that this costs more than the above)
Yamaha   8x4x24 $215

Both SCSI, of course.  How much can you get the same drives for?
Also, I would expect the Plextor drives to be more reliable than the
Yamaha, but I've never put them to the test.  If Yamaha really is
better, I'll just stick with them as I have in the past. :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )