Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:42:59 +0100
From:      Jonas Bulow <jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer Thinkpads

Greg Lehey wrote:

> > I have a chance to play with one of the offending systems tonight;
> > I'm going to try as many experiments as I can.
>
> It would be interesting to see whether the BIOS gets as far as the
> floppy and CD-ROM drives, and if so whether you can boot from them.

No, you can't boot from any media if you have a partition of type of a5
on the primary disk. I installed freebsd 4.1 (and 4.2) on a secondary
disk (in the CD-slot using an adapter) and then it works fine. I was
using Partition Magics boot menu.

(I installed it when the secondary drive was in the primary drive's
slot. Then I inserted a a5-free drive into the primary slot and the
a5-infected drive in the secondary slot. boot -s, rewrite fstab, and
then the brick became a computer again.)

On the followinf link one can read that partition type a0 is reported as
"Laptop hibernation partition", even by IBM Thinkpads. Is there an
"IANA" for partition types?

http://www.win.tue.nl/math/dw/personalpages/aeb/linux/partitions/partition_types-1.html

I wonder how long it will take for IBM to fix an problem like this. It
is not a question about supporting FreeBSD, it's just a question about
following very old standards, IMHO.

/j (on a TP 600X, the last model accepting FreeBSD :-) )