Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:35:56
From:      "Thor Legvold" <tlegvold@hotmail.com>
To:        martin.zibert@drustvo-dns.si
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restricting Xwindows

>Greetings!

Dobar dan :-)

>First of all i'd like to say: sorry about my english.It's not very >good.

Nema problema, mi govorimo puno drugacije jezike to :-)

>I have one problem.We have a cyber caffee in our town and all the
>computers run on Windows platform.Now, we want to make a change.We want
>to install FreeBSD, but there are some problems.
>We'd like to run Xwindows but very restricted kind of Xwindows.let me
>explain that: no KDE just default Xwindows, no menus.When user look at
>the screen he/she must only see Netscape and nothing else - no telnet >or
>other services.We also want to acomplish that users cannot save any
>files or anything else.I know that can be acomplished with permissions
>or security level, but i don't know how to restrict Xwindows.
>Does anybody know how to make this thing work?
>Oh, and another thing.There are some parameters which shutdown Xwindows
>(ctrl+alt+backspace) - we want to change that to!

Hmm, I'm nowhere close to being an X11 guru, but I beleive the shutdown
sequence can be set in xf86config file (or by using the graphical
configuration to do the same). The other things might be setup by using some
sort of sandbox so that when a user logs on they only have access to the
programs you define, and nothing else (a la an ftp session).

But I'm only guessing....

>Thank for all the help in advance.

Nema ne cemu.

>Martin