Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 05:49:53 -0400
From:      Adam McDougall <mcdougall@ameritech.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        julian@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TESTERS NEEDED: Softupdates looks Very good.

I have a partition solely for the source and ports tree with softupdates
enabled (and also /usr since things were going smoothly lately) but while
trying to build the XFree86 port on a kernel and system from approx. midnight,
it has been hanging the system.I noticed because ther compile stopped doing
anything, it just sat there, just like my telnets into the machine. I could
switch consoles, and I switched to a console that had been running top, and it
was running happily, but I noticed several Zombies as shown by the second line
of top. I use top -I so I didnt see what they were, but i assume they were the
proccesses that tried to run past the 'hang'.  ctrl-alt-del did not work, I had
to cold boot the machine. This has happened twice tonight.  I have a dpt 2144UW
HBA, p233mmx, and was using links to the latest  ffs_softdep.c and softdep.h.
Is there something useful I could get out of DDB when this happens? I could
probably reproduce it. Anything else I could try to help analyze whats wrong?
Any more machine-specific info needed? Thanks