Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 2000 16:32:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Hechinger <wonko@users.tmok.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Celeron Summary

ok, due to popular request (ok, one guy) here is the summary of the responses
to this topic (which i failed to notice weren't CCed to the list) with some
comments of my own.

>	I would take a long hard look at Duron. It will be available in SocketA
>so you will be able to drop-in upgrade to an T-bird Athlon. It outperforms the
>Celeron and both of the AMD chips cost less than Intel chips.

while this does look attractive (price and performance), availability is an
issue.  just released to OEMs and VARs, but when can i buy one.

>Not sure what celery chips you've been using...
>But we've had zero problems with them on NT or 98. Except of course, the
>programmed in software crashes... :)
>They also run FreeBSD great. ( i think they are happier with the real OS)

maybe it is just i happened to see hardware that was flakey outside of the CPU
that 2000 cleaned up, keep in mind i only really started following x86 again
earlier this year.

>Your mouse has moved.
>Windows NT must be restarted
>for the change to take effect.
>
>Reboot now? [ OK ]

ok, i just think this is funny and should be shared.

>> laptops and POOF, stable as a rock.  so my question is, obviously some kernel
>> tuning was done on 2000 to make it work well with the celeron.  maybe the
>> celeron has a hangup or two with certain bits of the current x86 instruction
>> set, i don't know,
>
>This is all insane speculation, and totally off the mark.  The Celeron
>shares the same core as the other PII/III family parts, and the
>aspersions you're casting against it are simply not true.

again, see my above statement on this subject.

>> but anyway, back to the question.... what is the current
>> status of FreeBSD on the Celeron?  i'd like to throw together some low cost,
>> moderately powerful FreeBSD boxes, and the Celeron looks like it would fit
>> the bill, as long as it is stable, otherwise i'll look to the Athlon, or worst
>> case, K6-II, although a slot2/370 combo motherboard so i can upgrade to full
>> strength Pentium IIIs when the time comes is an attractive deal.  (the time
>> being after the Pentium VII has been released and the IIIs are dirt cheap)
>
>It works "just fine".  The Celeron is a very attractive cost-competitive
>processor for a lot of low-end server applications, where "low end" is a
>very relative term.

good news all around.  low end in my dictionary?  well, how low can you go? :)

>> i've held the celeron in very low respect, i just don't like what it is (keep
>> in mind i'm a long time sun guy so i tend to have a problem with x86 in general)
>> and i have noticed that under WinNT/98 it tends to be rather unstable.  for
>> example.  we have a couple Celeron based laptops at work, and running both 98

> Grrr! Yes, I have Suns too. And they are very stable. BUT, the Celeron is every
> bit as stable as a Sun is. I have several Celerons running RH Linux
> (sorry, no FreeBSD at the moment), and have never had any sort of crash.

so we see some examples of people using celerons wothout trouble with a variety
os OSes.  so something to take seriously.

> Hope I haven't bored you with my ranting.

this guy goes into insane detail of various things, and while extremely
interesting, i think it isn't appropriate for this posting.

overall, i don't see any reason why i shouldn't get a celeron system.  price is
good, and with a quality motherboard i could upgrade to a "true" pentium at any
time if need be.  so if you want dirt cheap super performance, then you may
want to wait for the Duron, but if you want cheap excellent performance and you
need it NOW NOW NOW, then the celeron should be a wise choice.

cheers,

-brian