Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 12:39:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
To:        jfarmer@goldsword.com
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, support@tyan.com
Subject:   RE: Motherboard comparisons

"John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@goldsword.com> writes:

> Tyan makes the S1590S Trinity 100 AT with the VIA Apollo MVP3
> AGPset chipset.  This board is solid and _very_ stable.  It also
> supports parity & ECC memory operations at the 100Mhz level (see
> comment about the ASUS below).
> <http://www.tyan.com/products/html/s1590s.html>; This is
> _the_board_ to use (IMHO) for low cost, high performance servers
> (I've used it in both FreeBSD and Netware5 systems without a
> probem.)
>
> It will also work with either AT or ATX style power supplies (for extra
> control/monitoring...)
>
> The pure ATX version is the S1592S Trinity ATX.  Look at:
>         <http://www.tyan.com/products/html/s1592s.html>;

Can the ATX version of this board be configured to turn itself
back on after a power failure?  We found the Asus P5A could not,
which makes the board useless for server operation, in my
opinion.  (Yes, I know servers should be on UPS's, but sometimes
they just aren't, and UPS's can fail, and there's nothing like
having to have somebody drive 50 miles to a remote site at 3
a.m.  because there was a 30-second power failure, and now your
server is off until somebody goes and presses the soft "on"
button.)

We're considering reverting to the AT form factor because of this
stupidity.

Jim Shankland
NLynx Systems, Inc.