Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2017 11:26:25 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: UEFI booting survey

[I forgot to list the .dtb file with the
kernel and world.]

On 2017-Dec-19, at 9:58 AM, Mark Millard <markmi at dsl-only.net> wrote:

> On 2017-Dec-18, at 2:37 PM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
>=20
>> . . .
>>=20
>> Or the following pseudo-code with all the weird special cases removed =
for clarity
>>=20
>> load loader.efi from ESP
>> if BootXXXX uefi variable holds a second path, use that for =
root/kernel
>> otherwise if an override variable holds a kernel/root path, use that
>> otherwise scan for a usable ZFS pool, use that if it exists
>> otherwise use the same partition loader.efi was booted from for =
root/kernel if it's usable
>> otherwise use the first UFS partition on the ESP that's usable.
>>=20
>> A partition is usable if /boot/loader.rc exists on that path.
>=20
> What will be the role of /etc/fstab in establishing
> were the kernel is loaded from? Where world is
> loaded from? Where/how does use of /etc/fstab for
> specifying the root file system mount fit in the
> above pseudo-code?

Typo: should be "establishing where".

> (For my particular interest the context uses UFS, not
> ZFS.)

I forgot to list:

What will be the role of /etc/fstab in establishing
where the .dtb file will be found (when such is
involved)?

>> What is being deleted is one final step: "otherwise use the first UFS =
partition on any drive in a random order that's usable." which used to =
be at the end of the boot1.efi psuedo code. It's my belief that no such =
installations actually use this due to the random factor today (plug in =
a new USB drive and it might take over). If my belief is wrong, it's my =
belief that efibootmgr will solve it, and failing that, the fallback =
mechanism (for platforms that use u-boot + EFI where UEFI variables =
don't work) will allow the two or three people that are doing this =
today.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net