Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:06:03 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org, mckay@thehub.com.au
Subject:   Re: burncd and ISO copies

On Tuesday, 20th March 2001, Soren Schmidt wrote:

>> Soren> dd if=/dev/acd0c bs=2k | burncd -f /dev/acd0c data - fixate
>>
>> Great!... It's work (4.3-Beta)
>>
>> Is there any reason for choosing 2k as blocksize (eg. is it the result
>> of a complex equation involving the data rate transfert between the CD
>> and the CD-RW) ?
>
>No it the blocksize of the CDROM, you could use a multiple of that....

Really?  I always use 2k with CDs because I lose data at the end of the
CD with anything bigger.  Some problem with detecting the end of the CD
it seems.

I just did a spot test.  Results: my SCSI CD and SCSI burner worked
fine.  My ATAPI Pioneer DVD dropped the last block.  This is with
4.2-stable, and 4.3-beta respectively :-)  The SCSI system was built
last November, the IDE one just 11 days ago.

The tests: (I used CD1 from 4.2-R, if anyone cares)

(SCSI burner CW-7502)
$ dd if=/dev/rcd0c bs=4k of=/dev/null
163113+1 records in
163113+1 records out
668112896 bytes transferred in 542.834929 secs (1230785 bytes/sec)

(ATAPI DVD Pioneer 103S)
$ dd if=/dev/racd0c bs=4k of=/dev/null
163113+0 records in
163113+0 records out
668110848 bytes transferred in 427.117307 secs (1564233 bytes/sec)

Stephen.