Date:      Wed, 02 May 2001 19:20:09 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DELL Latitude 400 and pccard?

George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net> wrote:

> Should I be able to use a pcmcia wavelan card on a DELL?

     Possibly.  I've got an old Dell Inspiron 7500, and the Wavelan
works well.  I'm still using FreeBSD 4.2, though (the 7500 has a cardbus
interface, which is used in non-cardbus mode, as FreeBSD 4.X doesn't
support cardbus).

> Is there a known
> working method to enable pccardd to recognize the devices?

     Possibly.  Perhaps if you gave some useful information (complete
dmesg -- preferably verbose -- and complete kernel config, etc.),
somebody might be able to help.  Be warned that Dell's notebook BIOS
tends to be on the "nonconfigurable" side; there's a chance that you
might be screwed.  Also, to get some free IRQs, you may also have to
disable some unused devices (assuming that the BIOS allows you to), like
the IRDA interface or something else.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com