Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 22:49:14 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        toor@dyson.iquest.net (John S. Dyson)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-RELEASE?

According to John S. Dyson:
> Open Systems Networking said:
> > On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, John S. Dyson wrote:
> >
> > > I think that the *biggest* and most complex thing that will be missing
> > > will be the fine-grained SMP.  It seems that we'll have ELF support,
> > > but I forget (or simply don't know) if we (they) decided that ELF will be
> > > primary or not.
> >
> > I was hoping to see SMP (in ANY form), kernel threads, RAID, and
> > softupdates, and maybe some TCP stuff, SACK, etc..
> > But RAID, and SMP, and softupdates isn't bad.

Can't the current model with SMP be smoothed a bit, to be more of a release
material, and we can at least have non-finegrained-locking SMP? I mean,
SMP is the big thing for 3.0, and what if there has to be a lot of frobbing
done before 3.1 comes out to make it finegrained? It's still nice to have
at least the current SMP level available. It DOES help, after all, and even
the fact that it doesn't ignore more CPUs completely might attract more
people to buy SMP machines, and from there we draw new SMP hackers. IMHO.

> I can't imagine having 3.0 ready before the middle of the year.  IMO,
> and not necessarily that of the rest -core, I think that the "last quarter"
> is too long.

Probably true. But there seems to be quite a lot in the pipe, and it's
also kinda bad to role a release just before we get a lot of new stuff
because people will see it as out of date before it's released.

One thing I'm thinking about, and haven't seen much about lately is the
new SLICE code and DEVFS code. Shouldn't this be pushed into 3.0 before
the release cycle? That is, as quickly as possible? It seems it would
mean a lot of cleaups, nicer interfaces, and some driver changes.

The driver changes needed might be a good thing to get into 3.0. For
commecrial interested with drivers, etc.

Oh well... I'm rambling as usual. Any comments?

  /Mikael