Date:               Wed, 4 Jan 1995 09:30:08 EST5EDT
From:      "Pavlov's Cat" <STEVE@Imagination.Com>
To:        "Hugh S. Ellis" <hellis@domus.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         Re: TCP/IP stack for PCs

"Hugh S. Ellis" <hellis@domus.com> penned:

> I will be using my FreeBSD system as a firewall through which my users
> will connect to the Internet.
>
> While FreeBSD is really cool, I think I may get some resistance to converting
> all my users from DOS to FreeBSD.  Given that they may be running DOS, or
> worse, DOS + Novell, what is the best way to allow them to access my FreeBSD
> server?

I'm running a small system shop here that does EXACTLY what you're
describing.  I'm very happy with the results I've gotten using:

   -	The MicroSoft TCP/IP for Windows stuff.
Requires Windows for Workgroups, but you ought to have WinDoze users running
this version anyway ;-)  It has the added advantage of letting the WinDoze
boxes share files, printers, etc... peer-to-peer, as well as using the
FreeBSD box as a router, print server, file server and gateway to the
internet.  Get it at "ftp.microsoft.com"

    -	Samba SMB / Lan Manager File Server
Lets users mount FreeBSD media as local drives on the WinDoze boxes, plus
lets WinDoze users use the printer resources that FreeBSD has installed.
This is a great code stack, and is very stable at release 1.8.05.  (In fact,
I've used this to replace an existing NetWare box, which was doing much of the
same stuff at much greater cost per seat.  Plus, I don't have to futz around
with all of the various PC-based NFS hose-age.  Get it at "nimbus.anu.edu.au"

    -	Trumpet WinSock
For my users who need to dial in from their laptops, I run WfWG (without the
Microsoft TCP/IP stuff) and this GREAT software stack.  It has scripted
dialing, SLIP, PPP and some semi-lame apps like a cheesey VT emulator.  But
for dial-up access, there is nothing else that comes close.  (Sorry,
NetManage!)  Get it at "ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/cica/winsock"

    -	Pegasus Mail
This is a wonderful E-Mail package that handles MHS, NetWare, SMTP and POP
mail.  (Probably more, but that's all I use)  It's available in DOS- and
WinDoze-versions, so all of your heathen users can be happy.  This package,
in conjunction with `popper` and the Trumpet WinSock, makes a mobile mail
solution that's hard to beat!  (Examine the header of this message to see
evidence of a disciple!)  Get it at "risc.ua.edu"

As far as X goes, I had the X-Win package that somebody else described in
another post, and it worked really well on WinDoze boxes, it yakked all over
itself under NT (which is what I use most), so I lost it.  There are many
commercial X environments that work well, but I'm not going to spend $600 a
seat for 'em.  (Hey, vendors, are you listening?)

As far as getting some "real" network stuff for your NetWare servers, I've
got FTP, SMTP, POP and a couple of other helpers loaded on my Novell servers;
if you need pointers to these, let me know.

In short - I'm using FreeBSD boxes where uptime, performance, cost and
stability are paramount, I let the unwashed masses use their
DOS/Windows/NetWare stuff that they're too stubborn to give up.  It just
works!

Hope this helps.
--
...sjs...
Steve Sims                                  Imagination Systems, Inc