Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:09:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Operator" <operator@phreak.net>
To:        bv@bilver.wjv.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Drive Copy

> > Does anyone have bootable tape support on x86? The MakeSysB tape
> > generation on AIX boxes rocks. There also used to be a SCO-usable
> > product (CTar?) that made a tape and a boot floppy. Both worked well.
>
> Ctar was the original - Mike Schwartz as I recall - the company was
> Unitrends.  It's still around but it's decendants BackupEdge from
> Microlite and Lone-Tar from Cactus are quite popular.
>
> Edge supports boot from tape on the new HPs.  They don't support
> the FreeBSD market.  Lone-Tar supports FreeBSD.  How well I'm not
> sure as I haven't installed my copy - I need to get my tape drive
> fixed first.  I have seen no vendor which supports bootable
> disaster recovery software under FreeBSD, though LoneTar and BRU
> have bootable recovery disks for Linux.

Funny you mention Unitrends software, they actually make a product
called Backup Professional ( http://www.unitrends.com/bp.html )
which supports x86 booting from floppy along with tons of
other neat features.

I was doing a lot of looking around for a package that'll let me
backup various platforms and from what I've found Backup Pro
is about the only one that'll deal with all my platforms.

I purchased the software, but as of yet haven't installed it since
I've been waiting my my library to show up (which did yesterday!)
so hopefully in the next little while I'll be able to give it a go
and see how it actually works..

If you're interested feel free to drop me an email and I'll keep
you in the loop..

Regards,

--
Operator