Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 16:10:58 -0500
From:      Lute Mullenix <lute@cableone.net>
To:        "frank hagen" <teleport23r@hotmail.com>
Cc:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modem Driver Question!

Hi Frank,

First off this is really something that should be posted to the
questions list. That said...

I'm no modem guru or anything like that, but I'm pretty sure that just
about any external modem should work, though I have no experence with
any of the USB one's that are out. I have successfully use both Zoom and
Diamond external units, picked up a Diamond Supra at a computer store
that was moving for under $50 and it works fine with both FBSD and
Linux. Also picked up an older ISA USRobotics internal, one you could
set jumpers to which com port it was, and it worked well on my older
machine with Linux.

As far as the drives go, the Diamond came with Windows drivers, which I
used for ME, but no drivers were needed for FBSD or Linux, when setting
things up I let the software find the modem and took off from there.
It's my understanding that any modem (not Winmodem) that uses the Hayes
command set should work. The problem with Winmodems is they leave out
components that should be there, and make the CPU do their chores. So
that's where I would start if I were you is by finding an inexpensive
external modem, plugging it into one of the RS232 ports, and giving it a
shot.

Hopefully someone with a little more knowlege will get back to you on
this too, but hope this has been of some help.

Good luck, and have fun.

Lute