Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2007 23:55:25 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/116448: devel/dbus intolerent of existing 556 GID

--=-hgoOw2HIzEtlOuRiQt0A

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 17:54 -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 09:52:09PM +0000, marcus@FreeBSD.org wrote:
> > Synopsis: devel/dbus intolerent of existing 556 GID
> =20
> > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> > State-Changed-By: marcus
> > State-Changed-When: Tue Sep 18 21:50:42 UTC 2007
> > State-Changed-Why:=20
> > 556 has been allocated to messagebus via /usr/ports/GIDs.  If you absol=
utely
> > need this GID for something else, you need to pre-create the messagebus
> > group with a GID that works for you.
>=20
> This is disappointing - why must it be 556?  The reason I had it already
> defined is because the subversion install creates a 'svn' group and
> doesn't specify a GID.  To keep this from happening, why cannot we commit
> /usr/ports/GIDs to /usr/src/etc/group to better reserve them?

I think it was done this way as not all ports committers have src bits.
Plus, not everyone installs all ports, so mandating UIDs and GIDs on all
systems might be a waste.  But as I said, you aren't restricted to 556.
You can create a messagebus group before installing dbus, and the port
will simply use that group with whatever gid you assign it.

Joe

--=20
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome@FreeBSD.org