Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 00:50:11 -0800
From:      "Shawn Halloran" <SPHalloran2@hotmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-newbie" <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems Starting X

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C1C896.B2CB44C0

I have configured X v. 4.1 step by step. =20

a) When I run "XFree86 -configure" I get the black and grey grid with the=
 =20
X mouse cursor and everything appears to function properly. When I try to=
 =20
exit using "Cntl+Alt+Backspace" the system freezes. I have to use "Cntl+A=
lt+Del"
to reboot the system. =20

b) When I run "startx" from root, the system boots to a black and grey gr=
id with
an I-beam cursor. Nothing else happens.

c) When I run "xdm" the system boots to and screen with an "XFree86" logo=
. At =20
this point, it asks for a user and password. I have not set up a user acc=
ount, and
the BSD user account does not work. =20

I can not find adequate information about setting up the window manager, =
and
I do not know where to look. I would like to get X functioning, set up an=
ti-aliased
fonts, and set up Gnome. I am very close to have a system I can start pla=
ying
with, and I am anxious to learn more about this OS.

Any help, advise, direction - will be greatly appreciated.

Shawn Halloran  Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http=
://explorer.msn.com

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C1C896.B2CB44C0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>I have configu=
red X v. 4.1&nbsp;step by step. </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>a) When I r=
un&nbsp;"XFree86 -configure"&nbsp;I get the black and grey grid with the =
</DIV> <DIV>X mouse cursor and everything appears to function properly. W=
hen I try to </DIV> <DIV>exit using "Cntl+Alt+Backspace" the system freez=
es. I have to use "Cntl+Alt+Del"</DIV> <DIV>to reboot the system. </DIV> =
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>b) When I run "startx" from root, the system boots=
 to a black and grey grid with</DIV> <DIV>an I-beam cursor. Nothing else =
happens.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>c) When I run "xdm" the system boot=
s to and screen with an "XFree86" logo. At </DIV> <DIV>this point, it ask=
s for a user and password. I have not set up a user account, and</DIV> <D=
IV>the BSD user account does not work. </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I ca=
n not find adequate information about setting up the window manager, and<=
/DIV> <DIV>I do not know where to look. I would like to get X functioning=
, set up anti-aliased</DIV> <DIV>fonts, and set up Gnome. I am very close=
 to have a system I can start playing</DIV> <DIV>with, and I am anxious t=
o learn more&nbsp;about this OS.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Any help, a=
dvise, direction - will be greatly appreciated.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <=