Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:22:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Janos Mohacsi <mohacsi@bagira.fsz.bme.hu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using MD5 insted of DES for passwd ecnryption

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 15:48:56 -0700
> From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
> To: Penisoara Adrian <ady@warpnet.ro>
> Cc: freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: Using MD5 insted of DES for passwd ecnryption
>
> >   How can one control which kind of encryption is to be used by the
> > system for password encryption ? For example I want to use only MD5
>
> I've often wondered that myself and I'll be interested to hear the
> answer. :)  I suspect the answer is, however, "you can't do that"
> and that we need some sort of /etc/passwd.conf (ducks :-).

I don't think that should be invented a new password config file
as in OpenBSD. We already have a general config file: /etc/login.conf.
Two new field should be added: localcipher, ypcipher.
And should be integrated the new FreeSEC??? (bye the way where it is
available?) for the blowfish encryption too.

Is anybody to add it into the current lib tree?

Sincerely,
		Janos Mohacsi