Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 00:09:48 +0200
From:      roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: UID < 65535?

According to Warner Losh:
> No wait, Altavista tells me http://www.ludd.se/~kavli/alex.html, but
> my network world is busted by sprintlink, so I'm unable to get to that
> host. :-(.

Alex use FTP as transport level. The version I have is rather old but here
is what I get from the README:

Alex is a filesystem that lets users access files in FTP sites around
the world just like they access local files.  The name Alex comes from
the ancient Library of Alexandria. Alexandria gathered information from
around the world into one easy to access location. Alex does an analogous
thing in a very modern way.

For more information on Alex check out: /alex/edu/cmu/cs/sp/alex/doc
or /alex/edu/cmu/cs/sp/alex/www/alex.html

There are a number of commands for Alex users.  The user mosaic page is
/alex/edu/cmu/cs/sp/alex/user/man-html/alexuser.html and the actual
user commands are in  /alex/edu/cmu/cs/sp/alex/user/bin.

For a set of symbolic links to interesting places in Alex, check out:
/alex/edu/cmu/cs/sp/alex/links

One comment to all users, if you have "." on your path, please have
it at the end of your path so you do not run some really nasty "ls"
script someplace.

The Alex software is sort of shareware.  Anyone can set up a server
by following the instructions in /alex/edu/cmu/cs/sp/alex/src/README.
To encourage people to set up and maintain servers, I do not ask for
a donation from people who do this.

However, I could really use some money and it would be nice to get some
donations to justify continued hacking and support.

If you are an end-user of Alex, please express your satisfaction with a
donation: send me what you feel Alex has been worth to you.

Thanks,

    Vincent Cate

--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #0: Sat Sep 21 00:18:27 MET DST 1996