Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:13:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   toshiba satellite LAN card with funny chip id 10598086

Hi, I am trying to install 4.6 on the above laptop which is a toshiba
satellite 1405-S151 (to be specific).  The biggest pain so far is that the
onboard LAN does not seem to be seen.

I checked pciconf -l

and found it to be a none@pci:0:10:0 with chip id 10598086.

Pulling out my trusty pci index, I found that the 1059 maps to intel's (8086)
   82551QM Ethernet Controller
which, from what I can tell on the specs at intel should behave just like a
   82559 [Ethernet Pro 100]
which has an id of 12298086.

I remember once I figured out how to make a hack to the pci sources of
the kernel to make a pci device with a funny uid get detected as
something with a known uid (I did this for a funky sound-blaster pci
card months ago), however, time is short, and I really have forgotten
what I need to hack on to do this.

Can someone offer me some guidance?  Also, if anyone has any experience with
this brand of toshiba, I'd welcome other input, but this ethernet thing will
either make or break any chance of getting FreeBSD working right on it.

-r