Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:57:54 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Edwin Culp <eculp@EnContacto.net>
Cc:        Current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What goes at the boot prompt

Edwin Culp wrote:

> > I have a kernel that hangs at boot, so when I try to boot kernel.old, I
> > have a problem.  At the Default: F1 prompt, I give it an F1 and then the
> > space key give me

> > Default: 0:wd(o,a)/boot/loader
> > boot: _
> >
> > What do I put at the boot prompt.  I think the changes of the last few
> > days have left me a little punchy.  I thought that I always put
> > kernel.old or /boot/kernel.old.

On -current, /boot/kernel.old is a directory containing both kernel and
modules. /boot/kernel.old/kernel would do, but why skip the loader
phase? Let loader proceed, interrupt the ten second count and then type:

boot kernel.old

(or boot-conf kernel.old, if you are using loader to get some modules
loaded)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Too bad sentience isn't a marketable commodity."