Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:15:35 -0500
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        "John Straiton" <jsmailing@clickcom.com>, "'Andy Farkas'" <andyf@speednet.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question about background FSCK

On Wednesday 19 March 2003 09:52 am, John Straiton wrote:
> Thanks for the idea. While I'm not against the idea of the disk dying,
> this is reproduceable quite reliably. Foreground fsck -y in single user
> mode works in about 2 minutes (for the 119GB slice) flawlessly every
> time and background fsck always hangs the machine.
>
> Additionally, the machine is about a week old Dell Poweredge 1650. While
> we all know new != works, it's less likely than a machine with a hard
> drive that's been in there awhile.
>
> Unless there's something radically different about how fsck works in
> those two fashions, I'm going to assume the reproducability and the fact
> that I'm having similar problems on two totally different machines in
> different setups (IDE vs SCSI, P4 vs P3, Dell vs HP) means that a dying
> disk is not the problem I'm having.
>
> So I ask the list again: Is there a way to disable the background
> checking of disks?

Others gave that answer, but if you want to help solve the problem, try
running -current.  But read a lot in the appropriate handbook chapter before
doing so.
Then ask on -current mailing list.  Reproducible problems are very much what
the developers are looking for in order to improve the system.  But who
knows, it may already be fixed in -current.

Tim